Know how to protect your family and home
Kimlin Energy has been a leader in providing safe propane delivery and services to homes and businesses in Dutchess and Ulster counties for almost 40 years.
We are dedicated to upholding the highest possible standards to protect our customers, and make sure our propane delivery drivers and service technicians are trained to perform their jobs safely. And we want to make sure you know about using propane safely so you can enjoy all of the benefits of propane without worry.
The most important thing to know is what propane smells like. And that smell is like rotten eggs. Since propane doesn’t smell on its own, the rotten-egg smell is from an odorant added so leaks can be more easily detected.
I smell gas: What do I do?
Thanks to strong regulations and high propane industry standards, propane has a strong safety record. But you still need to know how to protect yourself if you smell gas, whether it’s
Contact Us Today in your home or anywhere else around gas equipment.
These steps are critical to protecting lives and property and must be taken as soon as you smell gas.
- Put out any sources of ignition like candles or cigarettes.
- Get out of the house IMMEDIATELY.
- Don’t use any light switches, thermostats, telephones or appliances until you are safely out of the house and away from where you smelled gas.
- Close the gas shutoff valve on the propane tank or cylinder if you can safely access it.
- Call 911 and Kimlin Energy once you’re a safe distance away from where you smelled gas.
- Give emergency personnel and the propane service technicians time to check for escaped propane gas and do any repairs.
- Even if you don’t smell gas anymore, stay away from the area where the leak was and don’t try to turn on the propane supply valve.
- A trained propane service technician needs to repair the leak, carefully inspect all gas appliances and relight all pilots.
- Don’t return until you have permission from emergency personnel or the service technician.
Want more propane safety tips? The Propane Education & Research Council (PERC) has created the informative videos below to tell you all about propane safety!
Trust Kimlin Energy for safe propane delivery, equipment service and tank installation. Become a customer today!