Five Oil Tank Maintenance Tips for Summer
Written on: August 18, 2021
Your heating oil tank is built to last for more than a decade – but most will last longer with regular maintenance from a qualified heating professional. More importantly, a little attention paid to your storage tank can help prevent a costly heating oil tank repair bill down the road, or even potentially disastrous oil tank failure.
Here are some maintenance tasks you can perform yourself on your heating oil tank; for anything more complicated, it’s best to contact the pros at Kimilin Energy for heating tank maintenance in the Hudson Valley.
- Keep oil in your tank – An empty oil tank is prone to a build-up of condensation (water) on its interior tank walls; that water will eventually find its way into your fuel, where it will sink to the bottom of your tank and corrode it from the inside-out. A damp tank interior will also encourage the growth of bacteria in your fuel, which will slowly turn your heating oil into a thick sludge that clogs your fuel lines.
- Keep an eye out for leaks – Periodically examine the tank, fuel delivery and vent lines, valves, supply and return lines and all fittings. Look for signs of oil or rust that might indicate a leak or some other problem.
- Inspect the tank legs – Check your oil tank’s support legs for problems that could destabilize the tank. Make sure your tank is on a level surface – preferably on a concrete pad or level basement floor. If you notice weakened support legs, contact us right away.
- Look for surface damage – Examine your heating oil tank for obvious dents, oil stains and any signs of wear, settling or tilting, which could lead to problems later.
- Keep your fill pipe clear – Keep your oil tank’s fill pipe accessible for heating oil deliveries year-round; if the area is overgrown, clear it and mark the location so that your heating oil delivery team can find it quickly.
A properly maintained heating oil storage tank could last two decades or more, so it pays to make the effort to keep it leak-free and working at its best.
If your heating oil tank is on its last legs, don’t wait to replace it – install a new oil tank in Rhineback, New Paltz, and the rest of the Hudson Valley today, before you have an ugly remediation problem on your hands!